Derek Phillips Kessinger
University of Colorado at Boulder Graduate — May 2013
Bachelor of Science in Journalism: Broadcast News
- Lead Columnist (2017-Current) — Weekly columnist for 5280SportsNetwork.com covering Denver sports for site that features influential Denver sports personalities.
- Communication’s Strategist and Operations Supervisor at Observ, Inc. (2017-Current) — As an ambassador for the concessions company, helped create internal and external communications and supervised operations in sports venues around the country. Work largely focused in Denver.
- Strategic Planning Consultant (2016-Currrent) — Worked with clients to develop short-term and long-term goals in industries that include business, design, media and community building.
- NBBJ Writing Apprentice (2016) — Investigated the culture and marketing plan for the architecture firm’s Studio 7 operations in Seattle. Devised a strategic vision plan based on my background in journalism and leadership.
- Experience Institute Apprentice (2016) — Assisted the school in video production, storytelling, curriculum development, facilitation, and strategic planning.
- New York Apprenticeship (2015) — Worked on an independent writing project and interacted with the city’s startup community.
- Writer (2014-2016) — Copywriter for a number of different companies. Writing topics have included marketing, education, strategy, personal development, sports and culture.
- 5280 Magazine Freelance Writer (2014-2015) — Covered sports, current events and culture for the digital team.
- Metro News Networks & 24/7 News Correspondent/Reporter (2013-2015) –Reported and produced segments at Colorado Rockies, Denver Nuggets, and Colorado Avalanche games for affiliate stations.
- Denver Cutthroats Radio Network Executive Producer/Play-by-Play Announcer (2013-2014) — Lead announcer, content producer and technical director for the Denver Central Hockey League team’s broadcasts.
- Observ, Inc. (2008-2014, 2016) – Roles ranged at the concessions company from Supervisor to Stand Manager at sporting events around the Denver Metro area.
- 5280 Magazine Multimedia Intern (2014) – Assistant to the multimedia editors. Responsible for writing content, creating videos, maintaining com and transitioning to new website.
- 850 KOA Sports Department Intern (2012-2013) — Radio production assistant for The Dave Logan Show and Prime Time Sports in Denver. As a reporter, I covered the major sports teams in Denver, Colorado.
- Radio Correspondent (2013-2014) — Provided live reporting for the shows at 850 KOA and Mile High Sports Radio from various major sporting events in Colorado.
- Sportswriter (2011-2013) – Wrote sports articles for Rant Sports and FanAttic Network. I was the beat writer for the Colorado Avalanche.
- Presidents Leadership Class (2009-2013) — Received a certificate in leadership from the University of Colorado’s premier leadership program.
- Presidents Leadership Class Marketing & Media Fellow (2011-2012) — Oversaw social media, web production, video content, and marketing for the program’s students, alumni and donors.
- News Underground Radio 1190 AM (2011-2013) — Co-host of show airing three hours every week discussing news, sports, politics and other current events.
- University of Colorado Sports Announcer (2011-2013) – Hockey, basketball and soccer announcer for the University of Colorado-Boulder.
- CU Sports Mag Television Show (2011-2013) — Associate Producer, anchor and reporter for the University of Colorado-Boulder’s sports television show.
- Experience Institute (2015-20016) — Studied writing, strategic planning and storytelling in the one-year alternative Master’s program. I gained skills in design thinking, business operations and community building between on-campus instruction and apprenticeships in New York, Chicago and Seattle.
- PLC’s Leadership Certificate (2009-2013) – Completed CU Boulder’s competitive undergraduate academic and experiential leadership program.
- Academic Paper Accepted to BEA Conference (2013) — Co-authored a paper examining trends in network news broadcasts that was accepted to the Broadcast Education Association’s annual conference.
- NewsTeam Boulder (2012) – Produced, anchored and reported for the student-run news program. Was the lead analyst for the show’s Presidential election night coverage.
- Larry Zimmer’s Sports Announcing Class (2012) – Focused on sports announcing techniques taught by long time Denver Broncos and CU Buffaloes broadcaster Larry Zimmer.
- Audio Recording
- Video Editing
- Audio Editing
- Social Media Management
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Future Planning
- Creative Projects